Periodontal disease is the most important and frequently seen dental disease of dogs and cats1,2. Up to 80% of dogs and cats over 3 years old have gum disease and without intervention, all dental disease is progressive1,2.
As with most diseases, prevention is the best form of treatment and home oral hygiene is key. Even in cases where dental disease is already present, home care can improve the oral health of the patient and decrease the progression of the disease1,2.
Regular brushing of teeth is the gold standard when it comes to dental care as it is the mechanical action of the brush, rather than the paste, that removes the most plaque3. However, owner compliance on brushing is poor; only 8% of dog owners and 4% of cat owners brush daily. Dentisept, a chlorhexidine gel, was developed as an effective alternative to brushing.
Dentisept is a bio-adhesive oral gel that contains 0.2% Chlorhexidine and a patented adhesive polymer. This polymer forms a glue-like consistency when in contact with saliva and binds to the enamel of the teeth. When Dentisept is adhered to the teeth it forms a depot of chlorhexidine that acts as an antiseptic for up to 24 hours.
Dentisept has been designed to address many of the problems we face when dealing with dental care protocols:
- It is formulated at the ideal concentration of 0.2% Chlorhexidine
- It contains a unique adhesive polymer to increase the contact time, giving a 24-hour depot effect
- It is palatable – vanilla flavoured
- It is easy to apply & each tube comes with an applicator which aids with compliance
For more information contact your Forte Healthcare Ltd Territory Manager or email email@example.com.
- Niemiec BA (2008) Topical review – Periodontal Therapy. Topics in companion animal medicine. 23:2; 81-90.
- Gorrel C (2004) Chapter 9 – Periodontal disease. Veterinary Dentistry for the General Practitioner. 87-110.